Saturday, February 8, 2014

(14)

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:32 PM
I need to let you know the story of the deepest gift I ever gave you.

I was on my way home from Arizona, and I was listening to my iPod.
I would listen to some song and think of you. So I created a playlist, of all the songs that made me think of you. It was over 50 songs.

I came up with an idea to make you a mix tape of a bunch of songs that you might of liked.

I texted Sofia and we both gathered a list of 75-ish songs.

Then I decided for the 'tape' to be more personal. They would be songs of my feelings for you.

So I looked up each one of the songs' lyrics and eliminated the ones that weren't right.
I then decided to not give it to you as a birthday gift. But as a gift.

I went through three drafts of the tape.

I named it "What/Not a Love Story"
because I remembered on the levee you said 'what a love story' when we were between the sun and moon. But I put 'not' because of the first intro song.

Final Result:

Story of Boy Meets Girl - Mychael Danna & Rob Simonsen
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want - She & Him (Smiths cover)
Missin' you - John Waite
Patience - Guns N' Roses
Darling I Do - Landon Pigg and Lucy Schwartz
Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
Yellow - Coldplay
Swallowed in the Sea - Coldplay
No One's Gonna Love You - Band of Horses
West Coast - Coconut Records
Last Time - Paper Route
I Need Some Sleep - Eels
The Way I Feel Inside - Zombies
Unattainable - Little Joy
To the Architect -  Mychael Danna & Rob Simonsen

I can not tell you how proud I was of this mix. All the songs lead perfectly to another. I woke up one day, before the sun came up and I sat outside and watched the sunrise with this. It was probably the coolest thing I have ever experienced. It's the perfect mix to listen to when the sun rises, sun sets, and midnight.

I originally wanted to add a lyric booklet, with the most meaningful lyrics bolded.. but I decided against it.

When you get a mix tape, it's not just a tape. It took a great deal of time and deep thoughts. You should listen to a mix tape as if it were a letter. In this case, a sad love letter. I figured you would get the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment