Saturday, February 8, 2014

(15)

Friday, September 13, 2013


The meaning of each song on the mix tape:

1)
Story of Boy Meets Girl - Mychael Danna & Rob Simonsen

I hate to say this, but if there was a movie that represented us, it would be (500) Days of Summer. I see myself as Tom Hansen, the person who dreams of falling in love and 'the one' comes along and we go through phases.. then we get closer and more hopeful. Then the whole "are we dating or not?" Nope. You don't believe in titles and whatever. The "Just Friends" relationship. Of course our relationship isn't that cruel as it was in the movie.. because you didn't get married or whatever. Although you do want to. But anyways, from the "You Make My Dreams Come True" scene to the "You are not the only one who has a say in this! I do too. And I say we are a couple, goddamnit" rant.. it's pretty relatable. Also, they have a "spot." A bench on a hill. How funny is that.
I just found it hilariously ironic that we were discussing this movie and you said "I hate Summer Finn's character."

anyways. This song, is the intro of the movie.

"This is a story of boy meets girl,
but you should know upfront...
This is not a love story."


2)
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want - She & Him

In the movie, Tom plays this song on his computer speakers to try to give Summer a message. Putting this in the CD made me chuckle. Like, "Hey, yeah.. please?"
Plus, Zooey Deschanel's voice is just perfect.

3)
Missin' you - John Waite

Remember the five hour phone call? I mentioned this song. Somewhere along the lines of "yeah, this is my theme song for you."

I would bold out the entire song, but for the most meaningful part it would be

"There's a message in the wire
And I'm sending you this signal tonight.
You don't know how desperate I've become
And it looks like I'm losing this fight"


and the whole chorus is spot on.. "I ain't missin' you.. I can lie to myself."

4)
Patience - Guns N' Roses

"I sit here on the stairs
'Cause I'd rather be alone
If I can't have you right now
I'll wait, dear"


and I do.

5)
Darling I Do - Landon Pigg and Lucy Schwartz

It's funny, I was going to make two versions of the mixtape; a friend version and a love confession one. This was going to be in both versions.

"I know plenty of people with eyes closed
They don't see you like I do
Darling I do, darling I do see you"


I have noticed that you are practically friends with everybody. Like Gatsby, everyone knows you, but only very little know the true you. Which is not bad at all. It just makes you a surprise. You know people don't really know you when you say a rant and they go "wait, he doesn't like things?" Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think of myself as the select few who has gotten the pleasure of getting to know the true you. I see you.
This is a bit silly to add, but if I could duet any song with you, this would be the one.

6)
Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

This is the song from the movie Once. I'm so glad I got to show it to you. I found this movie's soundtrack in my dad's dusty CD pile and thought it was cool looking and listened to it and fell in love. Then I saw that he had the movie too and immediately wished you were there to see it with me. I decided to put this on there because this song bonded them closer and it was both of our favorite song from the movie.
You should try to do a cover of this song! Haha.

7)
Yellow - Coldplay
8)
Swallowed in the Sea - Coldplay

This is my sad song on here. The whole "you belong to me, not swallowed in the sea."
"You put me on a shelf
And kept me for yourself
I can only blame myself
You can only blame me "


9)
No One's Gonna Love You - Band of Horses
  "But no one is ever gonna love you more than I do
No one's gonna love you more than I do"


10)
West Coast - Coconut Records

One day I remember it was a common planning day and it was one of my first daring attempts to be with you outside of school. I remember it was raining and I really believed you weren't going to come to Velvet Grill with me because we were walking and I didn't think you'd want to. I remember turning around and seeing you walk up with your bike. You were wearing a black coat and I don't know, I fell pretty hard then (again.) & I would think of this song whenever I was out of state. Another "miss you" song.

"I'm going back home to the west coast
wish you woulda put yourself in my suitcase
I love you
Standing all alone in a black coat

I miss you"

11)
Last Time - Paper Route

"Every time I try to sleep
You flood my memory
Through I live like an absentee
All I care is that you reach for me"


"I don't know why I go in circles"

12)
I Need Some Sleep - Eels

I was going through an Eels phase when I made this. I gave Sofia my top five favorite songs from them and said 'I need at least ONE Eels song on here. Which one won't kill the mood?'

"I need some sleep
It can't go on like this
I tried counting sheep
But there's one I always miss
Everyone says I'm getting down too low
Everyone says you just gotta let it go"


A lot of nights I seriously cannot sleep because of this stuff. You have no idea. Tonight including.

13)
The Way I Feel Inside - Zombies

"Should I try to hide
the way I feel inside
my heart
for you

would you say that you
would try to love me too
in your mind
could you ever be
really close to me
I can tell the way you smile

if I feel that I
could be certain then
I would say the things I want to say tonight

but till I can see
that you'd really care for me
I will dream
that someday you'll be
really close to me
I can tell the way you smile
if i feel that I
can be certain then
I could say the things I want to say tonight

but till I can see
that you'd really care for me
I'll keep trying to hid the way I feel inside."


The whole song fit perfectly.

14)
Unattainable - Little Joy

"Oh, if you find yourself
amongst the lonely ones
I'll be waiting here with open arms"


I thought this short-n-sweet song would be a good follow-up to the short Zombies song before. So both of them add up to the time amount of one whole song.

15)
To the Architect -  Mychael Danna & Rob Simonsen

Ah yes, the beautiful finale song of (500) Days of Summer. In the first draft, this was the finale song and the first song was not "Story of Boy Meets Girl" that song was actually a last-minute song. I wasn't going to add it because it seemed very bold. It is very bold. I thought, oh what the heck, I'm practically proposing to the guy with these another songs, this would just prepare him for this rollercoaster.

What a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment